Backroad Mapbooks is Canada’s #1 recreation map and guidebook publisher celebrating our 25th Anniversary last year. With Canada-wide distribution, we have sold over 2 million paper-based products and have been the start of countless backcountry adventures.
Our maps are used by outdoor enthusiasts, search and rescue organisations, RCMP and those working in the forestry and natural resource industries. Our products cater to those seeking backcountry adventures like fishing, camping, hunting, paddling, hiking, ATVing and more.
OPEN POSITIONS (1)
iOS Mobile Application Developer
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Type: Full-Time / Contractor
Salary: Dependent on experience
We are currently searching for an iOS Mobile Application Developer to develop a new app to display all of our outdoor recreation information. Working directly with our GIS Coordinator and the mapping team, you will be responsible for developing applications for iOS that can function offline and provide added features like turn by turn navigation and track sharing. Experience working with Mapbox SDK for iOS, databases (PostgreSQL/PostGIS, MongoDB, SQLite) as well as GIS is considered an asset. Evenings, weekends and/or extended hours may be required to meet deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in computer science, information technology, software engineering or related
- Experience developing native iOS apps
- Experience with Objective-C/Swift XCode development
- Up to date with the latest best practices for iOS development
- Knowledge of iOS app design criteria and the Apple App Store publishing process
- Experience working with Mapbox creating maps using their iOS SDK is beneficial
- Experience working with databases (PostgreSQL/PostGIS, MongoDB, SQLite) considered an asset
- Experience working with GeoJSON data for managing line and point spatial data is beneficial
- Design and write well-structured, easily maintainable, well-documented code
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- Help create new iOS mobile mapping applications using the latest best practices
- Helping to maintain the mobile application, investigate bugs and implement bug fixes
- Assist with application design, code documentation, code review and planning/brainstorming to help achieve project goals
Perks and Benefits:
- Work from Home or in Office
- Culture of Learning & Development
- Device’s to Get Outside and Play
- Regular Socials & Team Outings
If you think this position might be a good fit for your career, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a portfolio or your previous work experience/projects. Also include in your application any Github projects or Apple App Store releases you have worked on previously.
WORKING AT BACKROAD MAPBOOKS
What is the culture like at Backroad Mapbooks?
Relaxed! The environment is a casual, open work environment that fosters teamwork, collaboration and creativity. We like to laugh, have fun and work hard. It comes easily when you work on cool products with fantastic, hard-working individuals who share the same passion.
What are the core business hours?
9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
What is the dress code?
Although there is no company dress code, it is expected that associates dress appropriately for the work environment. Any department specific dress codes or safety rules pertaining to dress must be followed.
How often are associates paid?
PERKS, BENEFITS & CAREER
Do employees get discounts on Backroad Mapbook products? What kind?
Associates may purchase product at a 50% discount for immediate family and at a 25% discount for non-immediate family. Resale of product is prohibited.
Are benefits available and if so when do benefits start?
Yes. Benefits start 90 days after the day you start.
How often are raises/reviews given?
Contribution and raise evaluations are completed annually for all associates.
Are there opportunities for advancement?
This varies by department, but there are opportunities for growth and advancement dependant on your contribution, or if you are on a management path.
Can I apply for more than one job?
Absolutely! We encourage interested candidates to apply for any jobs for which they qualify.
What are the steps in the Backroad Mapbook hiring process?
If we determine you meet the qualifications of a current opening, a member of our team will contact you to schedule a time to discuss your background, experience and the current available position. If it seems the position may be a good fit for you, we’ll schedule a phone screen interview and then an on-site interview with the individuals related to this position.
How quickly do you fill your open positions?
As soon as we find the candidate that matches our qualifications and requirements.
Do you accept entry level employees?
Yes, entry level candidates should look under student internships for more information.
What software language/program experience do you look for in Graphic and Web Design?
What software does Backroad Mapbook use in a cartography?
We use ARC GIS, Adobe Illustrator, and Avenza Map Publisher in our Cartography Department. We will teach associate’s other customized ways we create our products using these programs and others.
Is travel required in the Sales/Marketing position?
Yes, expected travel is 20 percent to 40 percent, depending on the territory and business demands.