Western Canada - V2020
Prepare for Adventure!
From BC’s Pacific Coast to the wilds of Manitoba, Western Canada is a land of stark contrast and incredible adventure opportunity. BC is home to endless mountains which hide remote, fertile valleys, where deer graze on the banks of crystal-clear rivers teeming with trout. As you make your way towards Alberta, the world-famous peaks of the Rockies reach towards the sky, giving way to the foothills and later the plains of eastern Alberta. Here, golden fields stretch into the horizon, interspersed with small farming towns and lazy, meandering rivers that are characteristic of the Saskatchewan prairie. Beyond the sprawling grasslands of Saskatchewan lies Manitoba, home to some 100,000 lakes of all shapes and sizes, beckoning anglers to drop a line into their fish-filled waters. No matter which part of Western Canada you are exploring, you can count on our GPS Maps to help your adventure run as smoothly as possible.
Western Canada Backroad GPS at a Glance
- Designed for industry use and outdoor recreationists, this product combines all of Western Canada into one Backroad GPS Map, from BC to Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- Over 1,550,000 km of our backroads network combined into one map, including over 870,000 km of routable roads and close to 25,000 km of improvements to our Forest Service Road network in Version 2019.
- Lake Bathymetry depth contour for 2,250+ fishing lakes, rivers, and streams.
- Crown and private leased land for hunters and anglers.
- Township and Range Sections in Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Address Search tool for Alberta and Manitoba.
- Added Crown land and grazing reserves for Saskatchewan in Version 2019.
- Searchable Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites and other Resource Facilities.
- Marked Wildlife Management Units, Wildlife Management Zones and Game Hunting Areas
- Thousands of kilometres of ATV Trails, snowmobile routes, multi-use hiking, biking and cross-country skiing trails and paddling routes, with marked trailheads and access points/portages, including close to 7,350 km of new motorized trails and 1,400+ km of new paddling routes in Version 2019.
- Tens of thousands of fishing hotspots, parks and conservation areas, campsites, hunting areas, winter recreation areas and more.
- Over 57,000 land and water geographic features.
So Much More Than Just Maps!
Backroad Mapbooks’ industry-leading, Garmin-licensed Western Canada GPS Maps are the most detailed, comprehensive and up-to-date GPS maps available on the market. These are the maps of choice for recreation, industry, and search-and-rescue, with 3D views, shaded relief and countless geographic and activity based points-of-interest. Updated annually, these GPS maps are Garmin licensed for compatibility with Garmin GPS and Garmin Basecamp. Available in Micro SD format, these Western Canada GPS Maps are easy to install and use and bring you all of the detail of our wildly popular Backroad Mapbook series directly to your GPS device or computer. Keep your adventure rolling with the latest topographic data, routable roads, oil and gas data, hunting areas, trails, rec sites, paddling routes, scenic viewpoints and so much more. With the latest edition of our Western Canada GPS Maps in hand, your options for adventure are limitless.
Western Canada Backroad GPS Map Features
- Garmin-licensed & compatible with Garmin GPS™, Basecamp™, MapSource™ and RoadTrip™.
- Includes all standard Garmin features such as Find tool, city navigation and more.
- Preloaded 1:20,000 / 1:50,000 base scale seamless topographic maps.
- Provides 3D views and the highest level of map detail available on select Garmin GPS units and Basecamp™.
- Compatible with the latest Garmin 66i unit and inReach technology.
- The most complete Resource, Industry, and Logging road coverage available for Western Canada.
- Extensive routable road network including City, Resource, and Industry Roads.
- Highlights tens of thousands of kilometres of trail systems, including defined ATV, Paddling, Snowmobile, Long distance & Multi-use trails.
- Features smart background & Searchable Wildlife Management Zones (WMUs/WMZs/GHAs) for hunters.
- Includes National, Provincial, Regional, and other Parks & Campsites.
- Extras like Lake & Stream Fishing information with boat launches, paddling access points, bathymetric depths, and more.
- Searchable BRMB descriptions and activity information for fishing, paddling, parks, trails and more.
- Thousands of Searchable cities, Geographic Land, and Water features.
- Includes Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites and other Resource Facilities.
- Showcases private/leased land areas in BC.
- Features Address and Township & Range searching to aid navigation in Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Industry leading cartographic contours and shaded relief for all of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- Improved snowmobile route lines, First Nations reserve coverage and railway corridor mile markers.
- And much more!
Explore More by Using the Search Function
Search highly descriptive point of interest and recreation site write ups geo-referenced from our popular Backroad Mapbook guide book series.
Note: Backroad Extras or Points of Interest can be searched by selecting the Where To/Find > Extras and then Go! option, or read what each site offers through the More option.
Unique Road Classifications
Unique to the Backroad GPS Maps are our enhanced road classifications that help you distinguish the highways from the logging roads and the main roads from the side roads. This extra level of road classification helps you to know which roads can be driven in a car and which ones should be left to a four-wheel drive vehicle or ATV.
In addition, we offer more recreational points and symbols than any other map source. From RV accessible to backcountry campsites, hiking to snowmobiling trailheads, fishing to paddling access points, we have your adventure covered. Our area classifications include mines and gravel pits, conservation and restricted areas, and a host of other features that help you to see where you can play.
Get More Roads and Trails
Boasting more roads and trails than any other GPS maps, our road tracking classifications allow you to easily distinguish main industrial or logging roads from rarely travelled unclassified roads. Access over 871,000 km of routable city and rural roads, with 3 levels of industry roads (forest service, resource and recreational) along with over 685,000 km of non-routable roads including unclassified and private roads. Over 61,000 km of multi-use trails are separated for use by hikers, bikers and horseback riders, along with over 87,000 km of ATV and Snowmobile motorized trails. Trails are updated and expanded with the help of government agencies, off-road clubs and customers who contribute their own data.
Western Canada Road and Trail Highlights:
- 871,000+ kilometres of Routable Roads connecting BC to MB including city roads, rural roads, and 3 levels of Logging Roads (Industrial, Resource and Winter Access Roads)
- 685,000+ kilometres of non-routable roads including Old Logging Roads, Unclassified Roads, Alleyways, Leased and Private Roads and more
- 68,000+ kilometres of Trails for hikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers, including 61,000+ kilometres of Multi-use Trails and close to 7,900 kilometres of the Trans Canada Trail
- Close to 54,000 kilometres of Snowmobile Trails
- 33,000+ kilometres of ATV-QUAD Trails
- 52,000+ kilometres of Paddling Routes
Backroad Extras are where you find all the POI information specific to our Backroad GPS Maps.
Point of Interest (POI)
Unique to BRMB’s Western Canada GPS Maps are feature POI sets of over 5.5 million searchable points including Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations, PNG Grid Locations, Township Quarter Section Grid Locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites, other Resource Facilities and Backroad POIs.
Note: Backroad POIs can be searched by selecting the Where To/Find > Extras and then Go! option, or read what each site offers through the More option.
Oil and Gas Resource Facilities can be searched by selecting Where To/Find > Cities and then by entering the full Grid reference for Facilities. For Alberta facilities enter the full LSD Grid Reference (ex: 6-14-36-20-W4). For BC facilities enter the PNG Grid Reference (ex: D-83-I-94-J-10). For Saskatchewan or Manitoba facilities enter the Township Quarter Section Grid Reference (ex: NE-07-124-23-3, SE-27-24-15-W).
Western Canada Custom POI Highlights
- Close to 425 Wildlife Management Units in BC and AB, over 80 Wildlife Management Zones in SK and over 60 Game Hunting Areas in MB for hunters
- Fishing Lakes and Rivers with 6,500+ locations with descriptions and fish species
- Close to 1,600 Boat Launch locations
- Over 7,500 Trails with front country and backcountry locations and descriptions
- Snowmobile Trails with close to 980 trailheads/staging areas and descriptions
- ATV Trails with over 800 trailheads/staging areas and descriptions
- Parks with over 45300 National, Provincial, Regional Parks and Conservation Areas with descriptions
- Close to 2,000 Backcountry campsites
- Over 2,300 Campground and Picnic locations
- Paddling with 4,300+ paddling route access points descriptions and portage locations
- 800+ Winter Recreation Sites and Downhill Ski Areas
- 900+ Wildlife Viewing locations and descriptions
- 9,600+ City, Town and Community locations
- 100,000+ searchable land and water geographic features
- 750 Backcountry Huts and Cabins
Western Canada Categories:
- Access Locations
- Backroad Attractions
- ATV-OHV Trails
- Backcountry Camps
- Boat Launches
- Compressor Stations (found under city search)
- Fishing Lakes, Rivers, Streams
- Fishing Resorts-Outfitters
- Gas Plants (found under city search)
- Golf Courses
- Hot Springs
- Hunting Areas
- Land Features
- Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations, PNG Grid Locations and Township Quarter Section Grid Locations (found under city search)
- Paddling Routes
- Parks – Provincial – National - Urban
- Picnic Areas
- Portage Locations
- Public Services
- Recreation Sites
- Resource Facilities
- Rivers and Creeks
- Ski Areas
- Snowmobile Routes
- Transportation Services
- Visitor Centres
- Water Features
- Wildlife Viewing
- Winter Recreation