Be Your Own Guide in Alberta's backcountry with V7
So Much More Than Just Maps!
These Garmin-licensed (compatible with Garmin GPS and Garmin Basecamp) Alberta GPS maps provide stunning detail of Alberta’s topography, its road systems and road networks, trails, fishing lakes, and recreation hot spots from Calgary to Edmonton, Banff to Fort McMurray, and beyond. Load the Alberta GPS maps onto your computer or GPS device and discover the range of adventures that exist across the province. These maps bring all the detail from the original Backroad Mapbooks to life with shaded relief, 3D views, and clearly highlighted information to guide your outdoor adventures, including labeled campsites, activity and geographic points-of-interest, Wildlife Management Units, directions to those hot spots, and more. The most detailed and comprehensive GPS maps of Alberta available on the market, Backroad Mapbooks’ Alberta GPS Maps allow you to navigate the lands from Calgary to Edmonton, Banff, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, and the backcountry beyond, with the utmost confidence.
Alberta Backroad GPS Maps at a Glance:
- Specifically designed for outdoor recreation enthusiasts
- Get our Alberta Backroad Mapbook brought to life via GPS
- Garmin-licensed & compatible with Garmin GPS and Garmin Basecamp
- Technologically-advanced and user-friendly
- Explore with industry leading cartographic contours and shading
- Provides 3D views and the highest level of map detail available
- Routes extensive road systems including marked and labeled trails
- Search for access points, boat launches, paddling routes and portages
- Thousands of activity and geographic POIs for wildlife viewing
- Marked Wildlife Management Zones for hunting
- Developed in cooperation with local agencies, government, parks, forestry and tourism
Explore Alberta's Backcountry with Confidence
- 5,000,000+ searchable Alberta Legal Subdivision Sections, Quarter Sections and full LSD grid locations. Includes Quarter Section boundaries.
- New addition of Lake Bathymetry depth contours for 150+ fishing lakes, rivers and streams.
- New cross-country ski trail networks.
- 60,000+ KM of improvements to our backroads network.
- 3,000+ KM of additional multi-use, cross-country ski and Trans-Canada Trails. Includes close to 300 additional trailheads.
- 2,000+ KM of additional motorized trails for ATV-OHVs and Snowmobiles. Includes close to 50 additional trailheads and staging areas.
- Improved our national, provincial and urban parks. Includes 100+ additional campsites, day-use/picnic areas, backcountry/canoe campsites, recreation sites and huts in major parks and recreation areas.
- 50+ additional winter recreation activities.
- 20+ additional wildlife viewing areas.
- Garmin GPS™, Basecamp™, MapSource™ and RoadTrip™ compatible
- 1:20,000 / 1:50,000 base scale topographic maps
- Detailed shaded relief for all areas of Alberta
- 3D perspective on select Garmin GPS units and Basecamp™
- The most complete Resource, Industry and Logging road coverage available for Alberta
- Routable City, Resource and Industry Roads
- Tens of thousands of kilometers of trail systems, including defined ATV, Paddling, Snowmobile, Long distance & multi-use trails
- Smart background & Searchable Wildlife Management Units (WMU) for hunters
- National, Provincial and Private Parks & Campsites
- Lake & Stream Fishing information with boat launches
- Searchable Backroad recreation information for fishing, paddling, parks, trails and more
- Boat launches, campsites, paddling access points, ski areas and more
- Find that worksite with Searchable Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites and other Resource Facilities
- Tens of thousands of Searchable cities, Geographic Land and Water features
- and much more!
Alberta Backcountry GPS Map Features
Note: All standard Garmin GPS map features such as: seamless topographic maps; ‘Find’ tool to locate nearby city; water or recreation features; 50,000 scale geographic points; and city navigation are part of the Backroad Alberta GPS Maps package.
Unique to the Backroad GPS Maps are our enhanced road classifications that help you distinguish the highways from the logging roads and the main roads from the side roads. This extra level of road classification helps you to know which roads can be driven in a car and which ones should be left to a four-wheel drive vehicle or ATV. In addition, we offer more recreational points and symbols than any other map source. From RV accessible to backcountry campsites, hiking to snowmobiling trailheads, fishing to paddling access points, we have your adventure covered. Our area classifications include mines and gravel pits, conservation and restricted areas, and a host of other features that help you to see where you can play.
More Roads and Trails
No other GPS map source has as many roads or trails as the Backroad GPS Maps, and we have the statistics to prove it. In addition, you will find we offer better road classifications to help you distinguish main industrial or logging roads from those rarely travelled side or unclassified roads. Further, we separate trails into multi-use for hikers, bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers and more, as well as ATV/motorized trails and snowmobile trails. This information is continually updated, expanded and refined, so be sure to take advantage of our update program.
Alberta Road and Trail Highlights:
- Close to 320,000 kilometres of Routable Roads including city roads, rural roads, and 3 levels of Logging Roads (Industrial, Resource and Winter Access Roads)
- Over 90,000 kilometres of non-routable roads including Old Logging Roads, Unclassified Roads, Alleyways, Leased and Private Roads and more
- Over 13,500 kilometres of Multi-use Trails for hikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers and more
- Over 5,750 kilometres of ATV/Motorized Trails
- Close to 13,500 kilometres of Paddling Routes
- Over 1,000 kilometres of the Trans Canada Trail’s Land and Water routes
- Close to 4,500 kilometres of Snowmobile Trails
Backroad Extras / POI Categories
Point of Interest (POI)
Unique to the Backroad Alberta GPS Maps are our Custom or Backroad POI sets. Within Alberta, we have over 4 million searchable points including Oil and Gas LSD Grid locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites, other Resource Facilities and Backroad POI sets. Customers can search for LSD Grid information by selecting Where To/Find > Cities and then by entering the Section (ex: 30-72-4-W5), Quarter Section (ex: NW-30-72-4-W5) or Legal Subdivision (LSD) references (ex: 14-30-72-4-W5). Backroad POIs can be searched by selecting the Where To/Find > Extras and then Go! option, or read what each site offers through the More option. This added feature to our GPS Maps gives you the descriptions or write-ups of most recreation sites that have been geo-referenced from the popular Backroad Mapbook guidebook series.
Alberta Custom POI Highlights
- Over 5.3 million searchable Oil and Gas LSD Grid locations
- Over 5,000 Compressor Stations
- Close to 700 Gas Plants
- Over 30,000 Resource Facilities
- Over 43,000 Wellsites
- Close to 200 Alberta Wildlife Management Units (WMU) for hunters
- Fishing Lakes and Rivers with over 1,300 locations with descriptions and fish species
- Over 250 Boat Launch locations
- Close to 1,500 Trails with front country and backcountry locations and descriptions
- ATV Trails with close to 250 trailhead locations and descriptions
- Snowmobile Trails with over 175 trailhead locations and descriptions
- Parks with over 1,700 National, Provincial and Regional Park locations and descriptions
- Recreation Areas with over 200 locations and descriptions
- Over 375 Backcountry campsites
- Over 600 Campground and Picnic locations
- Paddling with over 750 paddling route access points descriptions and portage locations
- Wildlife Viewing with over 200 locations and descriptions
- Over 250 Winter Recreation Sites and Downhill Ski Areas
- Close to 2,500 City, Town and Community locations
- Over 16,000 searchable land and water geographic features
Backroad Extras are where you find all the POI information specific to our Backroad GPS Maps.
- Backroad Attractions
- ATV-OHV Trails
- Backcountry Camps
- Boat Launches
- Border Monuments
- Compressor Stations (found under city search)
- Fishing Lakes, Rivers, Streams
- Gas Plants (found under city search)
- Golf Courses
- Hot Springs
- Hunting Areas
- Land Features
- Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations (found under city search)
- Paddling Access
- Paddling Routes
- Parks – Provincial – National - Urban
- Picnic Areas
- Portage Locations
- Public Services
- Recreation Areas
- Resource Facilities (found under city search)
- Rivers and Creeks
- Ski Areas
- Snowmobile Routes
- Transportation Services
- Visitor Information
- Water Features
- Wellsites (found under city search)
- Wildlife Viewing
- Winter Recreation
Mises à jour
Nous cherchons continuellement à améliorer nos produits. Nous accueillons à bras ouvert toutes suggestions et informations à propos de mise à jour de carte, d'ajout de sentiers ou d'annonce de route fermée à la circulation.
Pour soumettre une demande de mise à jour d'une carte, il vous faudra les informations suivantes:
- Année de publication
- Un fichier .gpx ou .zip (si vous soumettez plus d'un fichier à la fois)
- Coordonnées de carte (le cas échéant)
- Vos commentaires et changements suggérés.
Si vous avez plus d'un fichier à soumettre, veuillez le faire sous forme de fichier zippé contenant tous les fichiers .gpx. Toutes les trajectoires et balises reçues vous feront gagner des points pour bénéficier de mises à jour gratuites de votre compte.
We are always looking for ways to improve our products. Whether it is map updates, new trails, or road closures, we welcome any new information and feedback.
To submit a map update, you will need the following information:
- Publication Year
- A .gpx file or .zip file (if submitting more than one gpx file at a time)
- Map Coordinate (if applicable)
- Your comments regarding the suggested change/s
If you have more than one file to submit, please do so by uploading a zipped file containing all the .gpx files. All tracks and waypoints received will earn points for free updates in your account.