CANADIAN PRAIRIES BACKCOUNTRY GPS MAPS
With so much to see and do all across Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, why not get the Canadian Prairies together onto one epic map set? That was the logic behind Backroad Mapbooks’ Canadian Prairies GPS Maps, which bring every square metre of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba to life on your GPS device or computer. The Canadian Prairies comprise the heart of western Canada, where Alberta’s mountainous paradise, Banff, gives way to Calgary and Edmonton, before Saskatchewan takes over with its rolling farmlands. In the east, Manitoba boasts the city of Winnipeg as one of Canada’s many urban centres trumped only by the wilderness that spreads north all the way to Hudson Bay. From east to west, the Canadian Prairies abound with natural beauty and opportunities for outdoor recreation – and we chart all of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba on one complete, Garmin-licensed GPS map set.
Backroad Mapbooks’ Canadian Prairies GPS Maps combine these three provinces to help the true adventurer get outdoors and stay on track. Together, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba create a lifetime worth of outdoor ventures to check off the bucket list. With a trusty GPS map in hand, loaded onto your GPS device as you navigate the wild, or on your computer while you study Canada’s topography and plan your adventures, you will forge new paths throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Whether hiking, camping, paddling, cycling, fishing, snowmobiling, ATVing, hunting, wildlife viewing, snowshoeing or otherwise exploring the great outdoors, these Canadian Prairies GPS maps will show you where to go. With detailed relief shading, 3D views, marked and labeled road networks, trails, campsites, fishing lakes, recreation hot spots, activity points-of-interest, and more, your Garmin GPS- and Garmin Basecamp-compatible Canadian Prairies GPS maps provide everything you need to trek Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba with confidence.
Canadian Prairies Backcountry GPS Map Features
- Garmin GPS™, Basecamp™, MapSource™ and RoadTrip™ compatible
- 1:20,000 / 1:50,000 base scale topographic maps
- Detailed shaded relief for all areas of the Canadian Prairies
- 3D perspective on select Garmin GPS units and Basecamp™
- The most complete Resource, Industry and Logging road coverage available for the Canadian Prairies
- Routable City, Resource and Industry Roads
- Tens of thousands of kilometers of trail systems, including defined ATV, Paddling, Snowmobile, Long distance & multi-use trails
- Smart background & Searchable Game Hunting Areas (GHA), Wildlife Management Units (WMU) and Wildlife Management Zones (WMZ) for hunters
- National, Provincial and Private Parks & Campsites
- Lake & Stream Fishing information with boat launches
- Searchable Backroad recreation information for fishing, paddling, parks, trails and more
- Boat launches, campsites, paddling access points, ski areas and more
- Find that worksite with Searchable Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations, Township Quarter Section Grid Locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites and other Resource Facilities
- Tens of thousands of Searchable cities, Geographic Land and Water features
- and much more!
Note: All standard Garmin GPS map features such as: seamless topographic maps; ‘Find’ tool to locate nearby city; water or recreation features; 50,000 scale geographic points; and city navigation are part of the Backroad Canadian Prairies GPS Maps package.
Unique to the Backroad GPS Maps are our enhanced road classifications that help you distinguish the highways from the logging roads and the main roads from the side roads. This extra level of road classification helps you to know which roads can be driven in a car and which ones should be left to a four-wheel drive vehicle or ATV. In addition, we offer more recreational points and symbols than any other map source. From RV accessible to backcountry campsites, hiking to snowmobiling trailheads, fishing to paddling access points, we have your adventure covered. Our area classifications include mines and gravel pits, conservation and restricted areas, and a host of other features that help you to see where you can play
More Roads and Trails
No other GPS map source has as many roads or trails as the Backroad GPS Maps, and we have the statistics to prove it. In addition, you will find we offer better road classifications to help you distinguish main industrial or logging roads from those rarely travelled side or unclassified roads. Further, we separate trails into multi-use for hikers, bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers and more, as well as ATV/motorized trails and snowmobile trails. This information is continually updated, expanded and refined, so be sure to take advantage of our update program.
Canadian Prairies Road and Trail Highlights:
- Over 650,000 kilometres of Routable Roads including city roads, rural roads, and 3 levels of Logging Roads (Industrial, Resource and Winter Access Roads)
- Over 130,000 kilometres of non-routable roads including Old Logging Roads, Unclassified Roads, Alleyways, Leased and Private Roads and more
- Over 14,000 kilometres of Multi-use Trails for hikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers and more
- Close to 10,000 kilometres of ATV/Motorized Trails
- Over 33,000 kilometres of Paddling Routes
- Over 3,000 kilometres of the Trans Canada Trail’s Land and Water routes
- Over 28,000 kilometres of Snowmobile Trails
Point of Interest (POI)
Unique to the Backroad Canadian Prairies GPS Maps are our Custom or Backroad POI sets. Within the Canadian Prairies we have over 5.2 million searchable points including Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations, Township Quarter Section Grid Locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites, other Resource Facilities and Backroad POI sets. Customers can search for LSD Grid information by selecting Where To/Find > Cities and then by entering the full Alberta LSD Grid references (ex: 6-14-36-20-W4). For Saskatchewan or Manitoba facilities enter the Township Quarter Section Grid Reference (ex: NE-07-124-23-3, SE-27-24-15-W). Backroad POIs can be searched by selecting the Where To/Find > Extras and then Go! option, or read what each site offers through the More option. This added feature to our GPS Maps gives you the descriptions or write-ups of most recreation sites that have been geo-referenced from the popular Backroad Mapbook guidebook series.
Canadian Prairies Custom POI Highlights
- 5.2 million searchable Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations and Township Quarter Section Grid Locations
- Over 5,500 Compressor Stations
- Over 700 Gas Plants
- Over 45,000 Resource Facilities
- Over 43,000 Wellsites
- Over 300 Canadian Prairies Game Hunting Areas (GHA), Wildlife Management Units (WMU) and Wildlife Management Zones (WMZ) for hunters
- Fishing Lakes and Rivers with over 2,500 locations with descriptions and fish species
- Close to 500 Boat Launch locations
- Over 1,800 Trails with front country and backcountry locations and descriptions
- ATV Trails with close to 300 trailhead locations and descriptions
- Snowmobile Trails with over 400 trailhead locations and descriptions
- Parks with over 2,100 National, Provincial and Regional Park locations and descriptions
- Recreation Areas with over 300 locations and descriptions
- Close to 750 Backcountry campsites
- Over 850 Campground and Picnic locations
- Paddling with over 3,200 paddling route access points descriptions and portage locations
- Wildlife Viewing with close to 450 locations and descriptions
- Over 400 Winter Recreation Sites and Downhill Ski Areas
- Close to 6,000 City, Town and Community locations
- Over 38,000 searchable land and water geographic features
Backroad Extras are where you find all the POI information specific to our Backroad GPS Maps.
Canadian Prairies Categories:
- Access Locations
- Backroad Attractions
- ATV-OHV Trails
- Backcountry Camps
- Boat Launches
- Compressor Stations (found under city search)
- Fishing Lakes, Rivers, Streams
- Gas Plants (found under city search)
- Golf Courses
- Hunting Areas
- Land Features
- Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations and Township Quarter Section Grid Locations (found under city search)
- Paddling Routes
- Parks – Provincial – National - Urban
- Picnic Areas
- Portage Locations
- Public Services
- Recreation Sites
- Resource Facilities
- Rivers and Creeks
- Ski Areas
- Snowmobile Routes
- Transportation Services
- Visitor Centres
- Water Features
- Wellsites (found under city search)
- Wildlife Viewing
- Winter Recreation
The SD maps are locked to the Card and are plug and play.
The DVD Maps are locked to the GPS Unit based on UnitID
Both version come with the free computer maps for PC and Mac when you register your maps on our website.
For mobile devices you can use our navigator app http://www.brmbnavigator.com/
If you receive an older version of the maps you are eligible for free updates for 60 days.
After the 60 days you would need to purchase an update subscription to update the maps.